Thursday, May 6, 2010

"4 Moms, 35 Kids: How Moms of Many Manage"


Kim, mom of 10, over at Life in a Shoe, has joined with 3 other "moms of many" to share how in the world they stay afloat! This has been so helpful for a new mom like me! I find myself wondering throughout the day, when the 18-month-old is waking up from a nap wanting lunch and the 7-month-old needs a diaper change and his meal as well (and there's 10 loads of clean unfolded laundry on the couch, like now [did I just admit to that?]), how in the world I'll ever manage with (Lord willing!) 3 kids ... 6 kids ... 8 kids ... 10 kids!

The most encouraging part for me came fairly early on in the series:
After those early years of madcap panic trying to get through the days and weeks and months with all the members of the family receiving at least a meal a day and a bath a week, now I'm surrounded by helpers with able bodies and sound minds. I have 7 children who can tie their own shoes, and what's more they can find and tie shoes for those who can't....

My main purpose in explaining this is to encourage mothers whose children are all or mostly below the age of shoe-tying. Your days will get easier. You will, someday, struggle more with the temptation to laziness than the temptation to fall into a teary heap on the kitchen floor because there's just not enough time in the day to do the absolute bare necessities.

Hmmm ... that last part (the "teary heap on the kitchen floor" part) sounds a little like me sometimes. Or at least, the way I'm tempted to be when I'm overwhelmingly overwhelmed with everything that needs to be done in a day just to keep things functioning! Thankfully, I have an encouraging, helpful husband who urges me to "rejoice evermore" (1 Thessalonians 5:16), even when things get tough (and when the word "rejoice" is honestly the last thing I want to hear). And I know that our home will be a happier, more uplifting and refreshing place if Mommy is bright and cheerful.

Little Tait and Miles will grow up all too quickly, and I know I'll miss their baby days. But if they're trained well, they'll be able to help me with chores and with the new little ones!

Meantime, Kim at Life in a Shoe, Connie at Smockity Frocks, Kimberly at Raising Olives, and "The Deputy Headmistress" at The Common Room all have helpful, practical tips to share about everything from scheduling to cooking to homeschooling to shopping with little ones!

4 comments:

Monica said...

Siblings are one of the greatest gifts we can give our kids!! Kolbe has already been such a gift to our Gemma, and her to him also.

It's hard not to get overwhelmed sometimes, but amazing how mommy's mood can set the tone for the whole family.

WesLea And Company said...

Hi Lauren. Rachel Morton here. You may or may not remember me:) I'm so glad I found your blog. I can really relate to this post, lol! I have two about the same ages as yours. It's so encouraging to see soo many other families doing just what we're doing, trying to follow the Lord in every area of life, including the size of our families. I remember feeling like we were the "only people out there" when we were growing up. The Lord is so good!!
May the Lord bless, encourage and keep y'all.
~Rachel for the Wesley Morton Fam in Georgia

OurLilFullFam said...

Lauren,

I am glad to see your blog again, your new one anyway. I followed your old one of your journey to marriage. I am a homeschooling mama in the Charleston area myself.

Congrats on your second baby! It does get easier. I really don't remember everything about just having 2 little ones, but I know it was tiring and I remeber thinking I didn't have enough energy to get it all done!

Enjoy it though, they grow so fast!!

Stephanie

The Zimmerman Family said...

Monica - Absolutely! I'm so glad my mom gave me four younger little gifts. : )

Rachel - Of course I remember you! I actually just left a comment on the Morton Clan blog the day before you left this one! I check up on the Smith and Morton blogs regularly, and I just noticed that you and Wesley have your own! I look forward to reading it! It's so nice to network with like-minded Christians over the internet! : )

Stephanie - Nice to meet you! Yes, that old blog kind of fell by the wayside after I got married, but I'm so excited to be starting up a new one!

~Lauren Z.