Friday, February 17, 2012

A Frigid New Header

So ... what do you think? You did notice our new header; didn't you? My brother-in-law, Philip Leclerc, took the picture while he and his wife Esther (Tait's sister) were visiting after Christmas.

It was 10 below outside, and we wanted a good picture without everyone so bundled up you couldn't see their precious shining little faces. So we rushed the little guys outside for a whirlwind photo shoot. Five minutes later, we hustled the red little cheeks and noses back inside the cozy warm house, hoping that Philip had been able to capture at least a few good shots. I think he did! : )

Honestly, after growing up in South Carolina, I'm sometimes surprised at how little the Alaskan cold bothers me. In fact, I absolutely love it! And this winter, my fourth winter up here, has been my favorite so far. It's brought both record snow and record cold ... an interesting combination, since it's rare for it to snow when the temperature drops below the teens.

By the middle of December, as much snow had fallen as we usually have in an entire winter ... about 8-9 feet. Our average temperature for January was the coldest average ever recorded, at just 2 degrees. All of the fresh snow, combined with plenty of 20 below weather, has kept things so beautiful, crisp, clean, and clear.

As much as I love the cold though, I'm not sure I could have handled Fairbanks' 50 below temperatures for weeks on end. And as much as I love the snow, I'm not sure I could have handled Valdez's 25+ feet of snowfall. Yes, it's been an extreme winter all over Alaska this year! : )

Take a look at a few of these pictures from a friend of ours in Valdez, and be amazed. ;D

A blue school bus (actually, it's a picture of snow ... with a blue school bus underneath) :D

A store's side entrance

That yellow building is actually 2 stories tall! Looks pretty small compared to that impressive snow pile!

My hometown of Charleston, SC has had a warm winter so far, with regular temperatures in the 70's! I'm looking forward to seeing some of those temperatures up here in Alaska in about 4 months! : ) How has your winter been this year?

My hubby and me (photo by Philip)

Coming soon: How we keep our sanity, cooped up inside with energetic toddlers all winter. : )

3 comments:

OurLilFullFam said...

Well, since we are in Charleston, you know!

We had the windows open today - but last weekend was crazy cold. Charleston Landing had half price days last weekend, but it was way to cold to go out. Especially since my youngest catches things way to easy due to some lung damage he has.

Monica said...

We've had a very mild winter here (in KS) with warmer than usual temps and barely a dusting of snow a few times. While I'd like to see at least one good snow (as would my dear Gemma, oh how she yearns to build a snowman), I have been quite pleased with the temps...yet I'm still ready for Spring. So. Ready. Don't know how you folk do it. Seriously. But glad you're enjoying yourself!!

WesLea And Company said...

I love the picture!! We need to do a photo shoot of our little family after our new baby gets here in a few weeks:) Talented in-laws are great aren't they?!